Sunday, May 21, 2017

MISTI and Color Layering Rooster

You might remember Leslie Hanna (a.k.a. The Crooked Stamper) who passed away on Christmas Day, 2015.

Leslie often advised me on new products because she tried everything and I'm cautious. One day, we discussed the MISTI, which was new at the time. She advised against my getting one because my style is so CAS and my hand so steady that such an expensive tool would be a waste of money.

Some time later, Hero Arts came out with Color Layering Seahorse (three layers) and Color Layering Octopus (two layers), and I started drooling over the layered flowers from Altenew.  So I started to think maybe Leslie's advice wasn't so good two years on.

I posted a question on my personal Facebook page asking MISTI or Mini MISTI, thinking I would get one or the other for Mother's Day. That's when Tina S., who was Leslie's BFF and neighbor, offered to give me a MISTI.

For nothing.

Yep. She just happened to have an extra lying around and gave it to me. *SQUEE*

New in the box.


Several people have told me that my life is about to change. Instead of ordering a MISTI for Mother's Day, I ordered several more of Hero's color layering sets, including Color Layering Rooster.

Now, it's important that I noted the Seahorse and Octopus sets have three and two layers respectively because the Rooster has about 42 layers, some of which are almost microscopic in size. (Yes, I'm exaggerating for comic effect, but still...simple, the Rooster is not.)

The MISTI was hugely helpful in positioning all but the beak/eye stamp of the Rooster, which was so tiny and so sticky it would NOT stay where it needed to for use with the MISTI. Still, Cock-a-doodle looks handsome, does he not?



The Color Layering Sea Turtle has 13 separate stamps. I strongly encourage you to count layers before you buy if you, like me, are not a patient stamper.

Sigh.

At least I've got a MISTI to help me not lose my cool altogether. And it's all thanks to Tina. What a sweetheart she is, and my stampy self is eternally grateful.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Color Layering Rooster
ink: a whole bunch of different colors of Hero Arts and Archival inks
paper: Papertrey white, StampinUp black
accessories: MISTI

11 comments:

  1. I have the rooster... But haven't used it yet. Didn't realize there were so many layers! He looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the rooster... But haven't used it yet. Didn't realize there were so many layers! He looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also hesitated to buy a misti, but I must confess that only now that I have one, I really started to ENJOY stamping and not just LIKE stamping. The rooster looks amazing. Always love reading your thoughts and looking at your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also hesitated to buy a misti, but I must confess that only now that I have one, I really started to ENJOY stamping and not just LIKE stamping. The rooster looks amazing. Always love reading your thoughts and looking at your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome rooster. I adore Leslie stamping talent. I still go look at her blog when I need some help. Her cards are still awesome. I ask for a Misti for my birthday in July. I figure I need it as I love Hero Arts layering stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will find so many ways to make the MISTI work for your particular needs! So happy for you! I admit I have two...an original and the mini. I have multiples to make each month for a card club (and any great designs of which I want to make duplicates...you know, strike while the iron is hot!) I set the design positions in the original and the sentiments in the mini and viola!...Done! For me, it put JOY back into stamping and took the frustration away! Try 'painting' an image as Heather Telford, Jill Foster and Micheline Jourdain have demonstrated...so much fun and the MISTI makes it possible! It has been fun to see your experiments away from CAS lately. I can't wait to see what new design 'gifts' you will bring to us using the MISTI! That said...I love your CAS designs and have learned so much from your work...THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE MY MISTI! I would get so frustrated before (misti) because try for the life of me, I could not get the job done with the old stamp positioner tool (ha-I can't even remember what it was called-it made me so mad!). It never stayed where it was supposed to stay. Check out all the you tube videos for all you can do-so many fun things!
    I love this rooster - I think I will be looking for him. Your card is so neat. Chickens are my thing. We had laying hens until a few years ago, and my kitchen has all kinds of chicken-y stuff.
    I love your CAS cards, you are so good at it-but am one of those who has to FILL all that white space! Stamp on! (giggles)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rooster is just lovely...BUT I'd never have the patience to deal with all those layers..not sure what HA was thinking with that one! BTW, just how does someone have an "extra MISTI lying around"? Welcome to a new way of stamping...the MISTI is a great tool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my heck.... you've caved to the MISTI craze. I miss Leslie and her pearls of wisdom. Mr. Cockadoodle is quite handsome though and it is obvious that with your new tool you showed those 42 different layers who the boss is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your rooster is really "cock of the walk". You're going to love the MISTI. I could have rivaled Leslie as Crooked Stamper II (I sure miss her posts). Can't say things are never crooked anymore, but improvement is very obvious post MISTI purchase. And now I've got the corners too. Some of us need all the help we can get. Happy layer stamping, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so welcome my friend. I am so happy the Misti has a good home. Oh and Leslie........I miss her so. She touched so many lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!