Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pushing Boundaries

In my latest flurry of buying, I purchased a cute set from Papertrey that just isn't turning out to fit my style. I've not quite given up on it but put it aside while I ponder it some more. Another set that stretches my boundaries of style is Hero Arts Notebook Essentials. Instead of my usual crisp, clean style, this set features broad, sketchy images.

I had a bit more success with it than I did the Papertrey set. Here's my first card to share, which also uses a watercolor/ink technique I'd not used in, oh, forever.



First, I stamped the row of circles repeatedly (so I'll be linking up to the OLS#2 Challenge!) with Hero Arts stone washed and green hills inks, and then grabbed my water brush (which is similar to these), squeezed water into the bristles, and dabbed the ink pad to lift some color. Then, I sloppily (my artist mother would say "loosely") added color in the circles.

Finally, I stamped "hi" using Hero Arts Typewriter alphabet with the gorgeously rich Memento Luxe tuxedo black ink.

This works for me.

How do you push your own artistic boundaries, stretch your style, think outside your box, step outside your comfort zone? Do you even bother? "Loose" is tough for me, and perhaps clean and crisp is tough for you. I'm glad we have so many choices to play with. Why don't you celebrate your artistic freedom on Presidents Day? Push your boundaries and do something different.

It's fun! Unless, of course, it's frustrating. But in that case, just throw your frustration in the trash can. No one needs to know.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Notebook Essentials, Typewriter alphabet
ink: Hero Arts, Memento Luxe
paper: Papertrey Ink
accessories: water brush

7 comments:

  1. Hi Susan. I think this looks great. I love the variety of colour depth inside each circle. I know what you mean about 'looseness' though, I'm a 'paint inside the lines' girl myself, although I love seeing water coloured pictures where the colour has gone outside the lines. I'm the same with my hair, I love the idea of a tousled hair do, but end up smoothing it down to look neater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your water color swirls! I enjoy doing "not me" at times - usually it's a blog tutorial or challenge like Operation Write Home that gets me started. Even if I'm not thrilled with my results, I often find something in the process that I'll use again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this card, Susan. This loose style is soft and pretty. I push myself every time I color an image. It's very hard for me, but I work with it. I'm successful sometimes, sometimes not so much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love watercolor and loose free flowing images and alphabets so this is a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the repeated circles, the watercolour look and the colours of the sea. My kind of card.
    Heather T

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!