Sunday, February 9, 2014

Birthday White

Y'all know I love white space, but lately there's been a bit too much white space outside my windows in the form of snow. Snow. Snow. Snow.

We're getting more snow today, which is the day after I wasted a bunch of white card stock making what my friend Leslie calls "pretty trash." Ugh. Pretty white trash in my white waste basket, pretty white cold stuff falling out my window, piling up on more white stuff that's been there a while. White is everywhere. The good, the bad, the trash.

I have no idea where I'm going with this lament (no doubt it's the result of an annoying cold virus that's taken residence in my head), but the following birthday card makes me embrace the white.


I decided to try something a bit funky with the dotted line in Lily Bee's Memorandum set, and this is what happened. GLITTER!

This would, by the way, qualify for the One-Layer Simplicity Challenge this month...except for the punched shape, which, technically, makes this a two-layer card.

Thanks so much to all who commented on this post about their favorite white card stock. Isn't it just the most wonderful thing that we have so many good options for card stock? Next up, I'm going to talk some more about inks and ink storage and such. Put on your thinking cats (*giggle*) and be prepared to share your ideas on that pesky subject soon.

When it comes to ink, I think we all need as much advice as we can get.

Supplies
stamps: Lily Bee Memorandum, Papertrey Birthday Basics, Hero Arts circle
ink: Hero Arts green hills, Memento Luxe black
paper: Papertrey
accessories: daisy punch, Doodlebug lime glitter, glue pen, dimensional

12 comments:

  1. Love it ... dotted lines and a touch of sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flower and those cool lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is "pretty white stuff falling out my window" correct language or are you taking poetical liberties or is it snowing from your window? English is not my first language so I just want to use this opportunity to learn from you ;) I like the card :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My usage in this post (and on this blog in general) is informal, even colloquial, and sometimes downright wrong for comic effect. "Stuff" should never be used in formal English...you will not find it in any of my academic essays. Oh, the horror! Also, "falling out my window," though not technically wrong, is vague and should read "falling outside my window" for greater precision.

      I chose to be informal on this blog because no one wants to read formal English for fun except weirdo English majors like myself, and informality gives me license to use as many exclamation points as I want without the punctuation Nazis hunting me down with their red pens. Please ask whenever you read something questionable here, though. I do so love discussing the language!

      Delete
  4. My immediate reaction to this card when it first came up was "oooh!". My next thought was how we both turned to green as the antidote to all that white stuff outside. Could that be becsuse we long to see the grass again???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Doris. Seeing grass would be nice after weeks of white that slowly turns dirty gray. I actually dreamed last night about trees leafing out in spring green!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful card, and I love the green and white. Like Doris said, it is like grass peeking out from beneath the snow.
    This may open up a whole new can of worms, but I find it interesting that you consider the flower to be a second layer. Is that because it is made of paper? What if it was a Prima flower? Would a flower made of anything else still make it a two layer card? I would consider the flower to be an embellishment and not a second layer, but that is just me. Ahhh...subjectivity always makes everything more interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a purist (a punch equals a second layer) for myself, but I don't expect anyone else to be so wedded to a minimalist philosophy. It does make sense to call a Prima or punched flower or other specific shape an embellishment; I just can't bring myself to do it!

      Delete
  6. This card really speaks to me. And it doesn't tell me to kill anyone, so we're all good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! Love that green. It's calling for Spring to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! So much so in fact, it was the inspiration for a card of my own. http://craftyreturn.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/return-take-2/ Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!