Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Unexpected Placement

1,000 Bags, Tags, and Labels contains numerous examples of decorated rectangles butted up against an edge of a bag, tag, or label. I love this look, although it's tricky to pull off on a card. Well, it's tricky for me. Perhaps others have an easier time.

I made two cards using the same layout but different colors and stamps, and the results are startlingly different.





This layout has some exceptional practical advantages. First, it's a fun way to use those awkward thin, long scraps of card stock that pile up. Second, it's a way to use smaller stamps that might be overwhelmed on a one-layer card, because the strip idea really gives a strong focal point, especially because it's unusually placed...not where you'd expect. The unexpected placement on an edge gives the strip visual weight it might not have more traditionally centered on the card.

Which do you prefer? How could you use your stamps and scraps to make your own version of this layout?


Supplies
Holly Card
stamps: Papertrey Holly Jolly
ink: Memento
paper: SU celery, PTI white
accessories: dimensionals, rhinestones

Get Well Card
stamps: Hero Arts cloud background, PTI Sign Language sentiment
ink: Ancient Page Neptune, Memento black
paper: PTI white
accessories: dimensionals

14 comments:

  1. Great layout! Both cards are great, but the I like the second one a bit more. I like the fully decorated strip, and the clouds bleeding off the strip's edges really give it the visual interest edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting design. I like the first one the best but I'm not even sure why. Maybe it's just because I like green or because I like holly stamps for some reason. I do seem to have collected quite a few of them. And maybe it's just because it is not as busy. The clouds really get your attention so I think I prefer the small amount of stamping on the strip rather than it having an all over pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are great and are going into my CASE-It file. I have a scrap of paper (I think it may have even come from an ad) with rocks on it; a friend passed on some stamps she doesn't use, one of which is a small stamp that says "you rock." I think the combo would be perfect for a card like this. Thanks for coming up with idea after idea for me to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first one better, mainly because it's green, but also because, even though the white strip contains the images and colour, it's an oasis on the green card, whereas the eye is drawn straight to the patterned strip on the white card, then back out again... I think I know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea. love the second card because of the cloud design -- it just anchors the strip for me. whatver that means!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, useable sketch. I agree that it is a good way to use scraps and small sentiments. I especially like the cloud print card because it brings more visual interest and color. TFS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are both beautiful! I would be way out of my comfort zone with this layout - so I should give it a go! Well done! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really prefer the first one. There is just too much white on the second, imho. Love the color of the first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the brilliant idea for using up all those strips I end up with when I make square cards! Both of your cards are lovely, but I have a slight preference for the second one (probably because blue and white is my favourite colour combination!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for an idea to use some scraps. Goodness knows there are always too many of them around. I think my favorite is the second one, but I like them both. Two very different looks from one sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to use scraps. I like both cards, but I like the first the most. The clean white space next to the colored card base really makes the holly image and sentiment stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cloud card gets my vote; having the full panel decorated emphasizes its verticallity in the large horizontal field of the card base. I would have liked the holly card better if it had used a vertically placed sentiment along one edge of the panel. Although it was on a vertical panel, the small horizontal sentiment echoed the horizontal card base, not nearly as interesting as the juxtaposition of the cloud card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!