Sunday, August 26, 2012

Layers, Oh My!

Given that I make so very many Christmas cards each year, it's no surprise that I have to vary the color choices a bit to keep from going insane. Christmas green and red, or blues for snowy cards, grow boring very quickly. So today's card shakes it up a bit with Baja Breeze and River Rock from Stampin'Up.

And layers. Because sometimes even I have to layer.



The stamps are from Papertrey's Snowflake Serenade, which has been around for a long time. But the snowflakes in the set are simply lovely, and there are two big words--peace and joy--with assorted little words to embellish the big word on the outside of the card and inside. A very cleverly designed set.

A single snowflake reminds me of the Christmas star and so seems doubly meaningful for those of us who have a chance at a white Christmas.

I don't always double-mat, but when I do, I generally make the bottom mat bigger than the top mat. Not only does it add interest, it also grounds whatever your stamped panel contains more firmly to the card base. For stamped panels where nothing is leaking off the panel (stamped part-way on, part-way off the panel), using different-size mats can help unify the whole design.

It's very hot in Ohio today, but just looking at the colors of this card gives me hope that, indeed, we will have some snow this winter.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Snowflake Serenade
ink: SU river rock, baja breeze
paper: PTI White, SU river rock, baja breeze
accessories: half pearl, dimensionals

21 comments:

  1. Such a pretty card; so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply fabulous - anyone would love to receive it

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, LOVE this! Beautiful design work and the colors are so pretty. I have that set and need to get it out and use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, this is gorgeous. And what a surprise! I would never, never, never think to use these colors on a Christmas card. Yet they go together so well for this. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! I love that sentiment for two reasons... the size and also because it's done in a beautiful font style.

    I'm sure we'll have at least some snow this winter. I've been having the feeling that after this extra hot, dry summer we might just have an early and snowy winter. I'm not looking forward to a lot of snow, but we need the moisture so much it would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these colors together and had never thought of mixing them up. That's about to change. Thanks for the inspiration, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card--the colors and the beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colors are so pretty together - your card is beautiful. And I love the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card.
    Sometimes it pays to think outside the box once in awhile. Never thought of using these colors together.
    Thanks 4 the inspiration. Love your layering and that Peace stamp is outstanding. Love it and works so well on your card.
    ColleenB.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an especially pretty card. Thank you for the lesson on layering and using a wider layer on the bottom. I didn't know about that and looking at your card, it really does make a difference. I have learned so much from reading your blog. I hope you have a great day!
    tonilea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love that peacey flourish image!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card, Susan. I love the double layering and your explanation for why the bottom layer should be bigger. I notice you also used dimensionals between the bottom layer and the layer that borders the focal image - is there a reason for that (as opposed to putting the dimensionals between the card base and the bottom layer)?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is stunningly beautiful! Although I'm not as CAS as you usually are, I have learned a great deal from your style. I really appreciate when you add a few layers just to keep us on our toes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the layering. It gives the card a elegant look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SIMPLY gorgeous! I love it... and now I'm off to the PTI site... once again... because of you... to look at a stamp set I'd never noticed before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you sure you made this card, Susan? It has layers (with an "s")! lol... Very elegant and such a beautiful color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan, is this an A2 card, or larger?? Love it so much...but have to use what I have on hand...still, SO inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All my cards are A2 unless otherwise stated. All my square cards are 4.25" unless otherwise stated. So glad you like this, Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do love the colorful multi-layer matting and the blue snowflake, but the best part is the font style on the Peace stamp. Just stamping that alone would have been beautiful in itself, but you made it extra special.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!