Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Inspired by Angeline Yong Jeet Leen

Today's card is inspired by this card from Angeline Yong Jeet Leen in Card Creations Volume 10.



Isnt' that FABULOUS?!?!?! LOVE the fun dots (on washi tape, no less!) she used to create her grid. Angeline's card begged for me to CASE it, so I did...with two very different versions.





First, I went textual, repeatedly stamping a scrap of white card with Papertrey's Text Style, but I ran into a little problem. You see, I cheated and used my 3/4" square punch, which gave me larger squares than Angeline used, meaning I couldn't quite get as many rows of squares on my grid. As you can see, this meant a bit of an awkward placement of the third rhinestone to get that visual triangle to work.

While I loved the black-and-white riff on Angeline's colorful card, I knew I had to ditch the rhinestones if I kept using my punch.




So I stamped a piece of scrap paper with Papertrey's Grunge Me and punched out the squares. Then, after arranging them in a pleasingly random way, I added the orange birds to the first and last squares. THIS version ended up more balanced with fewer--and larger--squares on the grid.


If you want a little tip on getting a grid glued down perfectly, get thee a quilting ruler. Here's a little photo to help. Line it up (I'd obviously knocked it a bit off line before I shot the photo, but you get the idea), and position the squares with ease!






Also, to stamp the sentiment, I stamped the top and bottom ones in line with the square to the left using a gridded acrylic block, and then eyeballed the middle one.

Many thanks to Angeline for inspiring such a fun layout!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey
accessories: 3/4" square punch, glue, quilting ruler, rhinestones

17 comments:

  1. Wow - your grid cards are striking. I particularly like the colors on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are amazing! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great layout, love your take on the original, thanks for all the layout tips, must check out that ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two terrific, inspired cards! I adore tem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea.

    I bought a centering ruler; I just can't stand it when things are not lined up, centered and marching perfectly.

    I drive my husband crazy when we hang pictures and curtains. My symmetry obsession drives him a bit crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well HOT DAMN! So excited to semi see how you use that ruler! I have been waiting patiently (a year now) to see this little usable step! :) Thanks GF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, Love your take on Angeline Yong Jeet Leen's card. And such a great idea using your quilting ruler for alignment! I'm off to my sewing box.... Thanks for the wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with your second card! And thank you so much for the tip on lining things up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning, stunning and more stunning - great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, this is so cool! I love all the cards you made, bling added or not. And you can use a million different sentiments to it, to make it so versatile. Great cards, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant cards, love your interpretations especially the last with the bright orange birds :0) Inspired! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE! It is absolutely beautiful! I am a new follower, I just made a blogspot I hope you would like to check out the cards I make as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love grid cards. The example is awesome and I like your versions of them too. I have a grid ruler I use for lining things up but I can't trust myself to not knock into at the last moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of the cards in this post are going in my "Make It" file. I spend way too much time adding to my "Make It" file, and not enough time actually making, but I enjoy the process. Thanks for the peek into your process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a good idea. Using a guilting ruler.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!