Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Return of the Colored Card Base

Yes, I have fallen off the use-all-my-colored-cardstock wagon. Sheesh. Just wait until you see tomorrow's post. White cardstock EVERYWHERE!

So I thought today I'd share the one colored-base card I've made in weeks. I like it. Lots.


This wasn't inspired by a single card but rather by a number of cards I've noticed in magazines lately that use the SU Top Note die (or similar) going off the edge of the card.

I, of course, do not have the Top Note die or any other die, seeing as I don't have a die cut machine, but a fun template for my Fiskar's Shape Cutter provided and clean and curvy substitute. This card uses product from four of my favorite companies: cardstock from SU and MFP, ribbon from MFP, sentiment from Hero Arts, and Dot Spot flower from Papertrey.

A Few Pieces of Business

1. I haven't forgotten about sharing my stamp index with you. I've just stalled in creating it. I will also do a quick tutorial on lining a punched border with colored cardstock and on modifying the PTI Framed stamps to accommodate wider sentiments. If there's anything else I've promised and haven't delivered or that you just want to see or know, pester me until I do it.

2. I've started a tab for my favorite products. It covers stamps right now, but I'll be adding a segment on cardstock, soon.

3. Y'all are the absolute best blog readers ever. I thank you for your support.

26 comments:

  1. i love this!! have this set and it sits uninked. you are inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one a lot - especially the blue colour

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never fail to impress and make 'simple' cards look so easy, I use so many of your cards for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun card Susan! LOVE the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm digging this modern look, Susan.

    And I love colored card bases. Easiest way to make white space a little less white. And that shape is far better suited to the modern stamps you used than the top note die shape would be. It's so much more clean and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah took the words right out of my mouth!! Yes indeedy - you do AMAZING stuff even without dies/Cuttlebug but think what you could do WITH one?!! (just sayin. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its so classy and modern..I think you should use colored card stock more often !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it lot's too Susan! Beautiful colours and I love the dotty flower stamp!
    Hugs, Victoria ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely, such a calm shade of blue. By the way, thanks for the laugh with the little black dress story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous card. Good idea about the tab for your fav products.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just gorgeous, Susan

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got a top note die but would've struggled to replicate a card as beautiful as this. The curves match the retro feel of the flower stamp. Everything is so coordinated with this card it's hard to believe you used 4 different brands.

    Good stuff.

    cheers,
    Malyn at ThinkInkCreative

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you don't have a die cut machine. I've resisted buying one too. It makes sense to me to hand cut what I can. Small circles can be tricky, hence I use punches. But for squares and larger things I hand cut.

    Great card...I think they are all great though. Loved yesterdays samples, the way you ground-ed the cat and dog was neat.

    Do you have a photo gallery of all your cards on-line? I like to use your cards for inspiration because they are simple but look special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dinahsoar, I post a lot but not all of my cards on Splitcoast Stampers. There's a link to my SCS gallery on Simplicity's sidebar under my photo. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very pretty card, I like the colored cardstock with this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the complex simplicity/simple complexity of your style. I wanna be just like you! LOL Would you mind telling us what color the blue is on this card? It is very calming and peaceful. I know you said it is SU cardstock but I am not sure of the color -- bashful blue?
    thanks
    tonilea
    jiffy1212@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how the polka dots mimic the dot spots. Also love that color blue! Lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty-like the design.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is one stylish card, again:0) Love the colour and stamped design, your ribbon matches perfectly, love it:0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both the layout and the curvy shape works brilliantly here. Dots in two places ties it together nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is SO pretty! I have this set and have never used it! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous card, love the colours and the design, so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how the ribbon mirrors the image... beautiful! And hey, great blogs bring great blog readers! :P

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so pretty pretty! :) LOVE the ribbon and the....whole card! Lol! You are one amazingly creative person Susan!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!