Monday, November 2, 2009

Birthday Presents



I was messing around this weekend trying to make some cards with the SU In Color markers and paper. THAT was an exercise in frustration. So I put them all away and pulled out PTI's Sign Language.

After a bit, I decided that the actual sign in Sign Language is sort of awkward for me so I abandoned it for the time being. Since my mojo wasn't flowing, I decided to fall back on a nice, safe grid layout.


Ahhhhh. Peace, love, and happiness!

I chose the colors thinking it was a fun and happy combo for a child's card and knowing I had rhinestones in both colors. These squares punch perfectly with a 3/4" punch, and I glued them down rather than pop them up because the rhinestones would add bulk, too, and I wanted it mailable.

The sentiment is part of a Hero Arts stamp that says Happy Birthday to you. I wanted it to be smaller than the width of the grid, though, so I only inked Happy Birthday. As for why I wanted it shorter than the grid, I have no really good reason other than then there would be four rows all the same, and four isn't odd. I like ODD. This way, three identically sized rows and one short row keeps the card oddly balanced. That's my theory, anyway.

To me, it just looks better. So there. (*wink*)

About the photo: You can see the play of light through the sheers on this card, but at least it doesn't look blue on my monitor. Except where it IS blue, of course. The white is a bit gray, but when I brightened the highlights too much, the blue and orange glowed nuclear. It was a no-win situation, so I went with something in-between.

Supplies
stamps: PTI Sign Language, Hero Arts
ink: Versacolor lagoon blue, orange
paper: PTI white
accessories: 3/4" square punch, rhinestones (Hero Arts)

14 comments:

  1. Very bright and happy, Susan, I like the little bit of bling. And you have made the right call on the sentiment it looks perfect, that is because you have such a good eye for what looks works and what doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need to try and justify yourself to us. We know you can be a little obsessive about your design, but we love that, and the way your creations are affected by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like odd too!!! Sometimes we just have to trust our instincts about what does and doesn't work design-wise ... and yours are spot on!!
    Lovely card, I'm sure the recipient will love the bright cheery colours..... I do :-)
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the orange and turquoise, definitely happy colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun! I love the colors and bling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty card. Love the colors. I have been challenged by that set also. It takes me many times of stamping before the stand and the flag look good. Not exactly and instant gratification thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like these colors - they make a very cheerful BD card! I have been using the images from Sign Language without the sign also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute, very sweet, very cheerful, very you! I get the odd/even thing, too. (HAH--my word verification is "dingle"!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colours and a super simple layout - fabulous as ever Susan! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable and I really like the blue and orange color combo. I would do the same thing with the sentiment because I too like the look of it being shorter than what's above it. The rhinestones are a fun accent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the type of birthday card that could be sent to anyone. I love to keep cards like this in my stash. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Change the colors and it would also make a great holiday card too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I TRY to put on my Susan-Brain when choosing and placing the sentiment, but it's so much easier when I just plain copy exactly what you did because you do it perfectly EVERY time.


    EVERYthing about this card is perfect but I especially like the sentiment because it is whimsical and jaunty = happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors and your perfect little gifts with bling!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your final card is gorgeous! Love the grid design and bright colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!